Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Alternative Tuesday - a less-than-vigorous hike

Torn about whether to try blazing 20 miles through Rock Creek Park with the Tuesday Vigorous Hikers, I studied the map and route and boarded Metro with pack and poles - which was interesting, because never having metro'd to a hike, I was surprised when three people offered their seats, as I obviously appeared disabled.  Shooting and vigorous hiking, for a back-of-the pack struggler anyway, are an impossible combination in my experience, but I couldn't leave the G-10 and the strap that stops it swinging to and fro (aka camera bra) behind. My dilemma resolved itself nicely at 8:40 when I emerged at Cleveland Park to find myself the only hiker on Conn. Ave.

Following hike directions, I headed north two blocks, passing the Wilshire, the Broadmoor and people dressed (costumed?) for business, and discovered the entrance to Melvin C. Hazen Park. Turning onto the path gave a through-the looking glass sensation. Steps from Conn. Ave. majestic trees in November foliage created warm light on a cloudy, low-wind, Indian summer day perfect for that thing I do. Two days ago in Hazel Country, SNP whole sections of woods had already gone winter grey. Time travel in an urban heat island.


I found Melvin Hazen Park equipped with the Valley Branch 
the floor showered with leaves on dry leaves
and light pouring down
Staying high and right of the stream gave classic see-and-not-be-seen perspectives on Rock Creek. By 10:30 I had walked almost half a mile.


Beeches,  poplar and oak


Being of a divided mind when I started, I only came with 95 shots. I ran out not long after passing Fenwick Branch on the Valley Trail. Breaking that cardinal rule was OK really, because at the rate I was going, speedy as it was thanks to not carrying a tripod, it would be way dark before I completed half the hike.

More things captured my attention as remaining shots dwindled. 




After the photo extravaganza I powdered my nose at a convenient pit stop and put the camera / bra away with reluctance and relief. As cloud cover lowered I lost two stops. At Pulpit Rock I took the TR side trail and headed back to Melvin Hazen, taking the stream-side low road back up the valley. Home at fivish, it was a twelve miler with shots. Thanks to the Tuesday hikers for a great hike and inspiration.




No comments: